The Philadelphia Flower Show dazzles people in the Philadelphia region and beyond every year and 2018 is no different.
With the theme, “Wonders of Water,” not a detail was overlooked in making this year’s show spectacular.
“In addition to providing a cool experience, (“Wonders of Water”) is a real opportunity to learn and educate visitors,” says Kevin Feeley, communications manager for the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society. “Water can be fun — it’s used in lots of fun activities. It’s also one of our most important resources. It’s a finite resource at that — something we need to work on conserving and protecting. It gives life and it’s represented in the beautiful rainforest garden visitors can enjoy upon entering.”
Here are 11 fun facts you need to know about the 2018 Philadelphia Flower Show, covering everything from water to butterflies to, of course, flowers!
1. 2,500 gallons of water are used for the Flower Show waterfall entryway.
2. 200 pieces of bamboo were harvested specifically for the Flower Show.
3. 3,500 feet of rope were used for the suspension bridge that guests will walk across in the green rainforest.
4. There are 2,000 leaves in the hanging ribbons of the rainforest canopy.
5. There are 4,000 butterflies in the Butterflies Live exhibit.
6. There are 9,000 bags of tea ready to be brewed in the Garden Tea room.
7. The Philadelphia Flower Show has a $65 million economic impact on the city of Philadelphia.
8. 3,500 volunteers lend a hand at the Philadelphia Flower Show.
9. There are 350 exhibitors in the Horticourt.
10. $1 million is raised each year by the Flower Show to support the community greening programs of the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society.
11. 531,000 trees have been planted by PHS and its partners in Pennsylvania, South Jersey and Delaware as part of the Plant One Million initiative.
For more information on The Philadelphia Flower Show and to buy tickets, visit: theflowershow.com.