The 2020 NBA Draft on Wednesday night provides as uncertain a selection process as ever considering the lack of a bonafide, overwhelming No. 1 consensus.
The honor of the top pick, held by the Minnesota Timberwolves, could go to any of Anthony Edwards, James Wiseman, or LaMelo Ball with each path likely to send tremors throughout the remainder of the first round.
For the Philadelphia 76ers, it likely won’t have much of an impact considering they hold the No. 21 selection on Wednesday night. But it will provide an opportunity to address serious needs, including a boost in outside shooting.
While their percentage from three-point range ranked ninth in the NBA, their average of 11.6 three’s made per game ranked 19th and their 31.6 attempted was 22nd.
In today’s three-point laden NBA, high volume and reliable outside shooting will only make the 76ers more dangerous.
Luckily for them, they’ll have a chance to nab one of the best pure shooters in the draft class in Tyrell Terry despite holding a bottom-10 pick in the first round.
The Stanford product shot nearly 41% from beyond the arc last season and provides an agile craftiness to his repertoire that has him drawing comparisons to Blazers star CJ McCollum.
Here is Metro Philadelphia’s first-round mock:
- Minnesota Timberwolves- Anthony Edwards, SG, Georgia
- Golden State Warriors- James Wiseman, C, Memphis
- Charlotte Hornets- LaMelo Ball, PG, Illawarra Hawks (Australia)
- Chicago Bulls- Deni Avdija, Israel
- Cleveland Cavaliers- Obi Toppin, PF, Dayton
- Atlanta Hawks- Tyrese Haliburton, PG, Iowa State
- Detroit Pistons- Isaac Okoro, SG/SF, Auburn
- New York Knicks- Devin Vassell, SG, Florida State
- Washington Wizards- Onyeka Okongwu, PF/C, USC
- Phoenix Suns- Kira Lewis, PG, Alabama
- San Antonio Spurs- Killian Hayes, PG, France
- Sacramento Kings- Aaron Nesmith, SF, Vanderbilt
- New Orleans Pelicans- Saddiq Bey, SG/SF, Villanova
- Boston Celtics- Patrick Williams, SF/PF, Florida State
- Orlando Magic- RJ Hampton, PG/SG, New Zealand Breakers
- Portland Trail Blazers- Precious Achiuwa, SF/PF, Memphis
- Minnesota Timberwolves- Cole Anthony, PG, North Carolina
- Dallas Mavericks- Tyrese Maxey, SG, Kentucky
- Brooklyn Nets- Desmond Bane, SF, TCU
- Miami Heat- Josh Green, SG, Arizona
- Philadelphia 76ers- Tyrell Terry, PG, Stanford
- Denver Nuggets- Robert Woodard II, SG, Mississippi State
- Utah Jazz- Tre Jones, PG, Duke
- Milwaukee Bucks- Aleksej Pokusevski, C, Serbia
- Oklahoma City Thunder- Jaden McDaniels, PF, Washington
- Boston Celtics- Vernon Carey, PF/C, Duke
- New York Knicks- Theo Maledon, PG, France
- Los Angeles Lakers- Cassius Stanley, SG, Duke
- Toronto Raptors- Malachi Flynn, PG, San Diego State
- Boston Celtics- Xavier Tillman, PF, Michigan State