A Philadelphia public school student has died of bacterial meningitis, ABC Philly reported.
His classmates learned of his sudden death on Tuesday.
The unidentified 15-year-old freshman at George Washington Carver High School of Engineering and Science at 16th and Norris streets died in an area hospital, Philly.com reported.
The young man was described by a spokesman for the district as “well-liked and very well-known. He was part of the basketball team. Students were very saddened and shocked by his passing.”
Grief counseling and support will be made available to students at the school on Wednesday, and letters have gone out to parents notifying them to be on the lookout for emotional stress in their children and providing information on the illness.
The disease is not as easily transmitted as the cold or flu, and those “who have shared a classroom, lunch table or bus with the victim are not considered at risk,” ABC Philly explained. “Only those who have had very close contact, such as kissing or living in the same house, are considered potentially at risk of infection.”
Matt Lee is a web producer for Metro New York. He writes about almost everything and anything. Talk to him (or yell at him) on Twitter so he doesn’t feel lonely: @off_Yellow.