Baja Room Fire Started by Basement Water Heater

The fire that damaged a restaurant overnight was started by a basement water heater, authorities said.

The fire department was called to the scene around 12:25 a.m. for reports of smoke coming from the basement of the Baja Room on the 1500 block of South Street. Residents who lived in second and third-floor apartments above the restaurant were evacuated.

No injuries were reported, but the restaurant suffered from smoke damage.

More from our Sister Sites