Police said they believe they have the man responsible for the death of Philadelphia Police Officer Moses Walker Jr. last Saturday.
Police and U.S. Marshals took 23-year-old Rafael Jones into custody on a bench warrant after he failed to report to his probation officer. After questioning Jones, Homicide Capt. James Clark told reporters “We believe he is going to be our shooter.”
No charges have been filed against Jones, who has violated probation twice this year for a weapons conviction, electronic court records show. He also has been arrested for aggravated assault and robbery, but those charges were withdrawn.
Investigators said they identified the second person in Walker’s murder, but have not taken that person into custody.
Walker, 40, was gunned down on the 2000 block of Cecil B. Moore Avenue during an alleged robbery Saturday morning shortly after getting off work. Investigators suspect the alleged robbers may have targeted Walker because he was carrying a backpack and looked like a student.
A $118,000 reward is being offered for information leading to an arrest in Walker’s case. Funeral services are scheduled for Monday.
Walker’s death marks the third murder of a Philadelphia police officer in the last month. In July, Highway Patrol Officer Brian Lorenzo, 48 was killed by an alleged drunk driver traveling the wrong way on Interstate 95; Officer Mark Brady, 32, was struck head-on by an SUV allegedly driven by his ex-girlfriend’s boyfriend.