In an effort to ease commuters’ woes during a SEPTA union strike that went into effect Tuesday morning, the Philadelphia Parking Authority has modified its rates for several Center City and Old City parking garages.
Five off-street garages and lots will offer a flat rate of $10 for 10 hours of parking, starting Tuesday morning and continuing through the end of the strike:
- Autopark at Market Street (entrance on 10thStreet between Filbert and Arch)
- Parkade on Eighth Street (with entrances between Arch and Filbert on Eighth, and on Arch on either side of Eighth)
- Autopark at Jefferson (entrance between Market and Chestnut streets)
- Autoparkat Independence Mall (entrances on Fifth and Sixth streets between Market and Arch); and
- Autopark at Old City (entrances on Front and Second between Walnut and Chestnut)
On-street parking is not permitted on Broad Street, from Spring Garden to South streets on both sides. However, thePPA said expired meters or kiosk receipts will not be ticketed for one hour after the expiration for the duration of the strike.
Parking areas that are normally limited or closed will also be permitted without limitation for the duration of the strike (a full list can be found here) but regular parking violations will still be enforced, like parking in front of a fire hydrant.