Three killed in overnight shootings

Two men were fatally shot Monday night within a matter of seconds in different sections of Philadelphia.

Officers were patrolling in the Holmesburg neighborhood when they heard gunshots and a person screaming just after 10 p.m. They found a 26-year-old man on the 4700 block of Loring Street with multiple gunshot wounds, authorities said.

He was rushed to Jefferson Torresdale Hospital, where he died a short time later, according to police.

At nearly the exact same time, a man was gunned down outside on the 4200 block of N. Fairhill Street in Hunting Park, authorities said. The victim’s age was not released.

Police reported no arrests in connection with the homicides.

Then, early Tuesday morning, just before 3:30 a.m. officers were called to the 100 block of Farson Street in West Philadelphia, where they found a 24-year-old man who had been shot once in the chest and multiple times to both legs.

He was transported to Penn Presbterian Medical Center, and medical personnel pronounced him dead at 3:40 a.m., police said.

Investigators stopped a man near the scene, but authorities did not say whether he is a suspect.

Eight people have been killed in Philadelphia since New Year’s Day. At this point in 2020, a year with the highest number of murders in at least three decades, there were four homicides, according to police department data.

More than 2,200 people were the victims of non-fatal shootings last year, an increase of about 54% compared to 2019.

On Tuesday, a 20-year-old woman was injured after being shot in the foot during a robbery at around 3:30 a.m. on the 2100 block of Weccacoe Ave, near John’s Roast Pork in South Philadelphia.

She was in stable condition at Jefferson University Hospital, police said. The suspect, who has not been apprehended, took her cellphone.

Earlier, just after 1 a.m., a 36-year-old man was shot in the left side of the head near the corner of 51st and Arch streets in West Philadelphia, authorities said. He was rushed to Penn Presbyterian, where he is in serious condition.

Police have not said whether the shooting could be related to the Farson Street killing, which occurred about a block away two hours later.

No arrests have been made.

More from our Sister Sites