We’re often asked by Boomers, “Why are so many kids today unemployed and living with their parents? Why can’t they just get jobs, like we did?” There are many good answers to that question, but here’s ours: Because all the jobs you got paid for, we’re expected to do for free. Unpaid internship are a scam, and they’ve turned being paid for your labor from a right into a privilege.
If you needed more evidence on the depressing turn things have taken, consider this Craigslist post, in which one lucky young person will be rewarded with the life-changing opportunity to perform menial labor in a restaurant kitchen — absolutely free!
Garces Restaurant Group is currently accepting resumes for a Culinary Intern for one of our Philadelphia restaurants, JG Domestic. We are seeking an intern that can commit to 20-25 hours a week. This is an excellent opportunity for a driven and motivated college student who is looking to learn and gain relevant work experience within their major.
– Assist the Culinary department with the day-to-day food preparation and kitchen operations
– Maintains, stocks/restocks, cleans & organizes work area
– Operates effectively under direct supervision of Chef de Cuisine and Sous chefs
– Prepares food according to recipes, procedures and standards; within allowable time guidelines
– Responds to all guests’ special requests
– Safely operates equipment (determined by position)
– Practices proper & safe food handling, storage, receiving, stocking & rotating procedures
– College undergraduates and graduates with a concentration in Culinary Management
– Prior food and beverage background preferred
– Candidates must be extremely details oriented, as well as reliable, committed and hard working
– Strong team and customer relations skills
– Knowledge of cold prep, proper knife handling, maintain proper temperature, sanitation, light dessert knowledge
– Must have minimal hearing to hear timers; coordinate with other kitchen staff
– Must have moderate vision to check food quality
– Must have minimal speech communication skills to read production charts/recipes
– Position regularly involves lifting food cases and metros weighing up to 70 lbs. Pushing and pulling carts is required
– Regular bending to lift items and supplies. No kneeling.
– Mobility – regularly moves all around the kitchen
– Continuous standing – to complete a task, may be stationary for short periods of time
Candidates should respond to this ad with a Cover Letter and Resume. Please write (Culinary Intern- AM Shift) in the subject line of the email. This internship position is unpaid.
Garces Restaurant Group is an equal employment opportunity employer.
JG Domestic and its chef, Jose Garces, should be ashamed of themselves. If you want someone to do a job, pay them for it. And don’t give us the “We’d love to, but we can’t afford it” excuse. We can’t afford a BMW, but that doesn’t make it OK for us to steal one. Why then do we accept stealing labor?