By Kimberly McCaffrey
Landing a job with little to no work experience can be difficult. Philadelphia Works supports and invests in several programs to help connect youth and young adults ages 12-24 to the resources they need to learn about the world of work, gain experience, build skills, and get employed.
Here are 3 ways in Philly to learn more about careers and get connected to supports:
- Resources & Programs – Get Connected
There are lots of options for young people. A Youth Navigatorat PA CareerLink® can help you understand and access the supports available. The Youth Navigator does exactly what it sounds like, help you navigate the programs, resources, and support. They can help get you connected to programs that offer:
- Career coaching
- Paid internships
- Job training
- Job search assistance
- Education services
- Extra support like free TranPass or clothes for work
Connect to a Youth Navigator by calling 1-833-750-JOBS (5627) or email email@example.com to make an appointment.
- Explore Careers – Learn More
Knowing what you like and what you’re good at is the first step. You can learn more about career pathways and explore different jobs at any time by checking out these resources:
- Philadelphia Works career pathway tool: philaworks.org/career-pathways
- School District of Philadelphia Pathways Guide: philasd.org/collegeandcareer/careerpathways/
- PA Department of Education’s CareerZone: pacareerzone.org/explore
A career pathway is a series of employment and training opportunities designed to lead to better paying jobs and advancements over time. Visit and use the interactive tools to find which career pathway might be best for you and learn what you can do now to impact your future.
- Training & Education Opportunities – Build Skills
Job training and education can help young people gain experience and build the necessary skills to be hired. Whether you are still in school, dropped out, or a graduate, there are resources that can help. Learn more about programs available and connect directly:
- Year-round training programs: philaworks.org/workforce-services/young-adults
- Summer or school-year employment programs: workready.org
- Pre-Apprenticeship & Apprenticeship programs: apprenticeshipphl.org
Kimberly McCaffrey is the Manager of Youth System at Philadelphia Works, Inc.